Joining a webinar
The Cochrane Collaboration uses the Blackboard Collaborate software package to run training webinars. To participate in a webinar, you will need a computer with internet access and speakers. A microphone will allow you to participate in the spoken discussion, but if you don’t have a microphone, you can use the built-in chat room to type questions and contribute the discussion that way.
Joining the webinar
Five minutes before the scheduled time, you can join the webinar by going to the link provided when you registered for the webinar.
- Enter your name in the field provided, and click the Log In button. The Blackboard Collaborate virtual classrom will be launched in a new window.
- You may be asked to allow your browser to download files to your computer – please do so.
Preparing for the webinar
Please note that we will not have time to resolve any technical problems during the webinar. You may be required to install the latest version of Java Web Start (free software) to participate.
- Before the webinar, go to the Blackboard Collaboration Support Portal to check that you have the minimum system requirements.
- From the Support Portal, you can access a Configuration Room – a test classroom to make sure your connection is working and you have everything you need.
- In the Configuration Room, you can check your audio settings by going to the Tools menu, and selecting Audio > Audio Setup Wizard.
- A brief presentation demonstrating how Blackboard Collaborate looks and works is available here (pdf file).
- Further information is also available on the Blackboard Collaborate website.
- If you have any trouble, please contact your local IT support.