This set of introductory training materials about assessing risk of bias in included studies can be used in your workshops and adapted to your needs.
A Cochrane systematic review is only as good as its included studies. Biases can lead to systematic errors or deviations from the true effect of an intervention in the results of a review, and it is important to carefully assess the possible risk of bias in all included studies. The slidecast presentation explains the concept of risk of bias and presents the Cochrane Risk of Bias tool. It also describes different types of biases and possible ways of identifying and avoiding them.
The presentation can be downloaded as a PowerPoint presentation for your own training purposes.These resources have been translated into several language. Select an available language from the list at the top right of this page.
Two exercises are available for download. The first exercise allows participants to discuss issues of study design and identify methods to minimise bias. Materials consist of a powerpoint presentation, trainers' notes, a spreadsheet for random sequence generation, and a video of the presentation delivered to a group of workshop participants. The second exercise allows participants to practice assessing risk of bias in an example study. Materials consist of trainers notes, an example study, and a handout.
A downloadable content map includes references for trainers as to where accompanying material is available (such as reference to appropriate sections in the Cochrane Handbook).
The policy on using standard training materials is available here.
- Describe what is risk of bias in included studies and why it is important to assess it
- Recognize different sources of bias in included studies
- Identify possible ways of avoiding risk of bias
- Plan the risk of bias assessment in your systematic review
- Identify the elements of the 'Risk of bias' tables in RevMan
- Incorporate and summarize findings of the risk of bias assessment in your review
- Prepare a training session on assessing risk of bias in included studies
Compilado por Miranda Cumpston. Basado en los materiales de Cochrane Bias Methods Group and the Australasian Cochrane Centre. Aprobado por the Cochrane Methods Board Traducido por Anna Selva, Ivan Solà y Jesús López-Alcalde. Voz por Salomé Planas.