These instructions apply to Declaration of Interest forms for authors of Cochrane Reviews. If you need to complete a Declaration of Interest for your role within Cochrane please see Declaration of Interest forms: Instructions for other contributors.
The Declaration of Interest form is used to declare your financial and non-financial relationships and activities that may be Conflicts of Interest (CoI) according to Cochrane CoI policy. It provides information to the editorial team to determine whether an author team complies with Cochrane’s CoI Policy. It is also used to create a Declaration of Interests statement for your review that provides readers with information about your other interests that could influence how they receive and understand your work.
Before completing your Declaration of Interest form, please read the relevant CoI policy:
- CoI Policy for Cochrane Library Content (2020) – applicable to reviews where the title was registered after 14 October 2020 (and to updates where work began on the update after 14 October 2020)
- Commercial Sponsorship Policy (2014) – applicable to reviews where the title was registered before 14 October 2020 (and to updates where work began on the update before 14 October 2020)
Click here for a diagram with timelines to help determine which policy applies to your review.
Please note: the Declaration of Interest form must be completed in one session as it is not possible to save a draft, and you will be logged out after one hour. We therefore recommend reading all of the information on this page before starting to complete your form so that you have all of the relevant information available.
- Submit your Declaration of Interest Form
- Review a previously submitted Declaration of Interest form
- You will receive an email from your editorial team when you need to complete your Declaration of Interest form. The message will contain a link to your individual form. The form is completed electronically. You cannot complete a Declaration of Interest form on someone else's behalf.
- Click on the link in your message. This will take you to the Cochrane Account login page. This step is skipped if you are already logged in.
- Log in to access Declaration of Interest form.
- If you have provided the same information previously, the system will create a prefilled draft. You must check and amend the details and resubmit the form.
Complete the form. The following instructions will guide you through how to complete it. (Please note that your Declaration of Interest form may require you to provide different information, according to when you began work on your review)
The form has five sections:- Identifying information
- Declaring financial interests
- Declaring employment by a commercial organization
- Declaring non-financial/other interests
- Declaring involvement in eligible studies
This section is pre-populated with details about you and the review. Please check that these are correct and complete any boxes that are not pre-filled. If you notice that any of the pre-populated details are incorrect, please contact your editorial team.
Declaring financial interests
In this section you should provide details of any financial relationships or activities that are relevant to the review. Financial interests are considered relevant if the payment comes from a commercial organization that has a financial interest in the topic of the Cochrane Library content. This means that the commercial organization has developed (or is known to be developing), or distributed (anywhere in the world), an intervention or potential comparator related to the topic of the review. This applies even if the payment was made for work or advice that did not relate to the topic of the Cochrane Library content. If you are in doubt about whether to list a relationship or activity, it is preferable that you do so.
The time frame for relationships/activities that must be declared is the 36 months prior to title registration through to the point that the review is published.
In the form, relationships and activities are divided into sections by type of relationship/activity (e.g. ‘Grants and contracts’). You must click ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to each to indicate whether you have anything to declare. For any to which you answer ‘yes’, you must give the name of the relationship/activity, the name of the organization or company and whether the funds were received by you or your institution. You are also able to add additional comments if needed. Click ‘add’ to add each activity/relationship that is relevant under that section.
Whether an individual financial interest prevents authorship will depend on what the interest is, the position of the author in the author line up, and overall financial interests of the author group and will be assessed by the editorial team once forms have been completed by all authors.
Declaring employment by a commercial organization
In this section you must declare whether you are employed by (part-time or full-time), or have been employed by (in the past 36 months), or own (or have owned in the past 36 months) a commercial organization that has a financial interest in the topic of the review. If you answer ‘yes’, you must provide details. If you are (or were) employed by a commercial organization that has a financial interest in the topic of the review, you should include the name of the employer(s) and the dates of your employment (if you are no longer employed by that organization). If you own, or previously owned, a commercial organization that has a financial interest in the topic of the review, you should include the name of the organization and dates of your ownership (if you no longer own the organization).
Declaring non-financial/other interests
In this section you should provide details of all non-financial relationships and activities that have a direct and obvious connection to the topic of the review or other Cochrane Library content. The time frame for activities that must be declared is the 36 months prior to title registration through to review publication.
You must click ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to each type of activity and for those to which you click ‘yes’, you must provide the name of the activity and name of the organization/institution. You are also able to add additional comments if needed.
Declarations of non-financial interests will not prevent participation in the creation of Cochrane Library content.
Declaring involvement in eligible studies
This section asks you to declare whether you have had any direct involvement in the conduct, analysis, and publication of studies that could be included in the specific review. If you click ‘yes’, you will need to give details of the funding source for that study. After submission of the form, it is possible that the editorial team may need to follow up for further information regarding the study.
- Once you have completed the form, click 'Submit' at the bottom of the form. A pop-up box with the message 'Thank you for submitting the form.' should appear.
- Click OK to confirm submission
You can also submit the Declaration of Interest form in Archie. Right-click on your review title and choose Reports > Conflicts of Interest forms, then click Open next to your name in the Access column.
IMPORTANT: if there are any changes to your Declaration of Interest while you are in the process of writing a review please let your editorial team know as soon as possible.
You can always return to a form you have submitted if you want to check a detail. If you wish to retract or amend your Declaration for any reason, please contact your editorial team.
The easiest way to access the form is to click the link in the original email. If you no longer have the email, you can view your Declaration of Interest form in Archie:
- Log into Archie
- Right-click on your review title
- Choose Reports > Conflicts of Interest forms
- Click Open next to your name in the Access column
- If you do not remember your login details, use the 'Forgot your password?' link on the login page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you see the message 'You are not authorised to perform this action' after logging in, you must ensure you have logged in with the correct Cochrane Account details. You should never use another person's login details.
- If you see other error messages or experience problems that cannot be solved by following these instructions, please contact your editorial team or email@example.com.