Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully before using the Cochrane Interactive Learning (CIL), which includes information on our website at http://training.cochrane.org/interactivelearning and the content of the CIL training modules, as they govern and form an Agreement with all users of CIL.
In using CIL you will be providing us with agreement to abide by these terms and conditions, and with the appropriate consent to handle your personal information in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998, as set out below.
The CIL service is supplied by Cochrane Innovations Limited (a trading company registered in the UK and wholly-owned by The Cochrane Collaboration).
We may make changes to these Terms and Conditions at any time and a complete log of changes is available here. The most recent edition of these Terms and Conditions will be binding for all Members. Using the Website and Materials after changes have been highlighted constitutes as acceptance of such changes.
1. Users of CIL
Authorized Individual Users: An individual who has been issued by Cochrane with a password or other form of authentication that provides access to CIL. Authorized users may include users who have been granted free access to CIL by Cochrane (either to specific modules or to the whole of CIL, and either indefinitely or for a specified period), or individuals who have paid for access through a personal subscription (Subscribers).
Authorized Institutional Users, whose access is granted through a multi-user institutional subscription agreement with Cochrane (e.g. provided by an employer or educational institution), and who have been issued by Cochrane with a password or other form of authentication that provides access to CIL. The terms 'Authorized Users' and 'Subscribers' also include Authorized Institutional Users in these terms and conditions. Contact your institutional subscription administrator if you have queries about the terms of this agreement.
In addition, from time to time, Cochrane may make some or all of the CIL modules available free of charge to the general public.
2. Cochrane Account
To access CIL, Cochrane requires you to register for a user name and password via Cochrane Account. Your Cochrane Account is used to identify your level of access to CIL, and to retain information about your completion of CIL (see below for more information on how we manage your data). If you are an Authorized User, your Cochrane Account will give you access to the full range of learning modules on the Website. If you are not an Authorized User, your access is limited to any content determined to be free to the general public as determined by Cochrane. Setting up a Cochrane Account is free, and no payment will be required unless you choose to purchase a personal or institutional subscription.
In all cases, user access including password and/or authentication is confidential and non-transferrable. Sharing your password to other individuals is prohibited.
3. Content and certification
CIL aims at all times to provide good practice guidance relevant to the topics covered in each modules.
The assessments provided are designed to demonstrate your achievement of the course learning objectives, and the certificate issued confirm this achievement. Passing a CIL course and receiving a certificate does not certify that any user is qualified to author a Cochrane Review or entitled to publish or register for publication a review with Cochrane. Registration and publication of Cochrane Reviews is at the discretion of Cochrane Review Groups, and may require additional knowledge and experience in an author team. The Cochrane Community website contains further information on requirements for author teams.
Cochrane reserves the right at any time to update or withdraw from CIL any content or resource. Cochrane shall give written notice to Authorized Users of substantive changes to content
4. Usage of CIL
In accordance with the copyright laws of England, the Users may:
- Search, view, retrieve, display and complete CIL resources.
- Print a copy of individual modules from the Website or items of the Materials for personal use.
Users may not:
- Systematically download content from CIL.
- Systematically make print or electronic copies of multiple extracts or make multiple copies of any part of CIL for any purpose.
- Alter, abridge, adapt or modify CIL, except to the extent necessary to make them perceptible on a computer screen to Authorized Users. For the avoidance of doubt, no alteration of the words or their order is permitted.
- Publish, distribute or make available the whole or any part of CIL, works based on the Materials or works which combine them with any other material.
- Use all or any part of CIL for the purposes of monetary reward (whether by or for Cochrane or an Authorized User) by means of sale, resale, loan, transfer, hire or other form of exploitation of CIL constitutes Commercial Use.
- Use Text Mining technologies to derive information from CIL.
- Include any part of CIL on any Learning Management System.
- Remove or alter the authors’ names or the Cochrane’s copyright notices or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear in CIL.
- Reverse engineer, decompile, alter, abridge or otherwise modify CIL or any part of them for any purpose.
Authorized Users must seek Cochrane’s explicit written permission to undertake any activities not permitted by these Terms and Conditions, except where a separate Institutional Licence or other written agreement with Cochrane provides permission to do so. Nothing shall in any way exclude, modify or affect any of the User and/or Subscriber’s rights under the copyright laws of England
For Subscribers paying an annual fee, CIL will remain available to Authorized Users for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of Subscription provided that any applicable fee is paid to Cochrane. Any extension to the period of the subscription is at the discretion of Cochrane.
For users who have been granted free access by Cochrane, CIL will remain available at the discretion of Cochrane.
Cochrane will notify Authorized Individual Users and Authorized Institutional Users in advance when their paid subscription is due to expire (where applicable).
Cochrane will notify Authorized Users to whom indefinite free access has been granted in advance of any changes to eligibility criteria for free access.
Access to CIL shall be terminated if:
- A Subscriber fails to pay applicable subscription fees before any notified deadline for renewal.
- An Authorized User commits a wilful material and persistent breach of Cochrane’s copyright or other intellectual property rights or in respect of usage rights or in respect of prohibited uses as described in these terms and conditions;
- An Authorized User rejects updates and/or modification to these terms and conditions;
- Cochrane becomes insolvent or becomes subject to receivership, liquidation or similar external administration.
7. Cancellation by you
By placing your order for a subscription, you are requesting and agreeing that we may start your subscription, and provide you with access to CIL as soon as possible following our acceptance of your order. Please note that you have 14 days after the day we email you to confirm we accept your order to change your mind and cancel your subscription, provided that you have not accessed CIL during that 14 day period, by notifying us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do access CIL within the 14-day period, you acknowledge that you are not entitled to a refund if you then change your mind and cancel your subscription. If you exercise your right to change your mind and cancel your subscription in the 14-day period set out above, we will refund you the price you paid for your subscription.
If you are ending your subscription for one of the following reasons, the Agreement will end immediately and we will refund you in full for any part of your subscription that has not been provided:
- We have told you about an upcoming significant change to your subscription or these terms and conditions to which you do not agree.
- We have told you about an error in the price or description of the subscription you have ordered and you do not wish to proceed.
- There is a risk that supply of the subscription may be significantly delayed because of events outside our control.
- We have suspended the supply of the products for technical or other reasons, or we notify you that we are going to suspend them for such reasons, in each case for a period of more than 30 days.
Except as specifically provided for in any other provision of these terms and conditions, your subscription may only be cancelled by you with effect from the expiry of your current subscription period. You may provide us with notice in advance of your current subscription expiring but the cancellation will not take effect until the end of your current subscription period.
8. Intellectual property
Cochrane warrants that CIL does not infringe the copyright or any other proprietary or intellectual property rights of any person. Cochrane shall indemnify and hold Authorized Users and/or Subscribers harmless from and against any loss, damage, costs, liability and expenses (including reasonable legal and professional fees) arising out of any legal action taken against the Authorized User/Subscriber claiming actual or alleged infringement of such rights. This indemnity shall survive the termination of this Agreement for any reason. This indemnity shall not apply if the Authorized User has amended the Website or Materials in any way not permitted by these Terms and Conditions.
Cochrane reserves the right at any time to withdraw from CIL any item or part of an item for which it no longer retains the right to publish, or which it has reasonable grounds to believe infringes copyright or is defamatory, obscene, unlawful or otherwise objectionable. Cochrane shall give written notice to the Authorized User and/or Subscriber of such withdrawal.
Cochrane shall make CIL available to the users via the website at http://training.cochrane.org/interactivelearning, access to which is authenticated by password or other form of authentication. Cochrane will notify Authorized Users at least sixty (60) days in advance of any substantive specification changes that may materially affect Authorized Users access to CIL. Authorized Users with personal subscriptions or Authorized Institutional Users may may within thirty (30) days of such notice treat such changes as a breach of this Agreement.
Cochrane shall use reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Server has adequate capacity and bandwidth to support the usage of Authorized Users at a level commensurate with the standards of availability for information services of similar scope operating via the World Wide Web, as such standards evolve from time to time over the term of this Agreement.
Cochrane shall use reasonable endeavours to make the Website and Materials available to Authorized Users at all times and on a twenty-four hour basis, save for routine maintenance (which shall be notified to the Authorized User and/or Subscriber in advance wherever possible), and to restore access to the Website and Materials as soon as possible in the event of an interruption or suspension of the service.
10. Privacy and Data Protection Policy
Cochrane shall do the utmost to uphold the confidentiality of the data collected whilst providing CIL and will act in compliance with Cochrane’s Data Protection Policy and with applicable privacy and data protection laws. Cochrane will never share your data with third parties except as explicitly provided for in this policy and these terms and conditions.
Users can change their preferences on receiving email from Cochrane for us in their Cochrane Account settings.
Cochrane will collect and analyse the following data on the usage of CIL by individual Authorized Users:
- Information on your progress through the CIL modules, linked to your Cochrane Account, to enable information on pages completed to remain visible to you on return visits to CIL.
- Information on your completion of CIL modules and overall courses, linked to your Cochrane Account, to enable certificates to be generated and downloaded from the CIL website, and information on your learning achievements to be added to your Cochrane My Account record. Cochrane will make summary-level data on your learning achievements, as displayed in your My Account record, visible to Cochrane Groups and Editors to inform their working relationship with you.
- Detailed information on your interaction with CIL and answers to questions throughout the modules, to enable the internal compilation and analysis of statistical information by Cochrane to evaluate the effectiveness of CIL as a learning tool. Data collected for this purpose will not be shared in an individually identified form.
- For Authorized Institutional Users only, Cochrane may (at the institution's request) share identifiable data on your usage and completion of Cochrane with reviews with the institution responsible for managing the subscription under which you are provided access, for the institution’s private internal use only.
- Any feedback you give us about CIL.
11. Warranty limitation
Except as expressly provided in this agreement, Cochrane makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, warranties of design, accuracy of the information contained in the subscribed materials, merchantability or fitness of use for a particular purpose. The subscribed materials are supplied ‘as is’.
Under no circumstances shall Cochrane be liable to the subscriber or any other person, including but not limited to authorized users, for any special, exemplary, incidental or consequential damages of any character arising out of the inability to use, or the use of, the website or materials. Irrespective of the cause or form of action, Cochrane’s aggregate liability for any claims, losses, or damages arising out of any breach of this agreement shall in no circumstances exceed the fee paid by authorized user and/or subscriber to Cochrane under this agreement in respect of the subscription period during which such claim, loss or damage occurred. The foregoing limitation of liability and exclusion of certain damages shall apply regardless of the success or effectiveness of other remedies. Regardless of the cause or form of action, the authorized user and/or subscriber may bring no action arising from this license more than six (6) months after the cause of action arises.
These Terms and Conditions constitute the Agreement between the users and Cochrane and supersedes all prior communications, understandings and agreements relating to the subject matter of this Agreement, whether oral or written, unless otherwise agreed in writing. This Agreement may not be assigned by either party to any other person or organization, nor may either party sub-contract any of its obligations, except as provided in this Agreement in respect of the management and operation of CIL, without the prior written consent of the other party, which consent shall not unreasonably be withheld.
If rights in all or any part of the CIL are assigned to another organization, Cochrane shall use its best endeavours to ensure that the terms and conditions of this Agreement are maintained. Neither party’s delay or failure to perform any provision of this Agreement, as result of circumstances beyond its control (including, but without limitation, war, strikes, floods, governmental restrictions, power, telecommunications or Internet failures, or damage to or destruction of any network facilities) shall be deemed to be, or to give rise to, a breach of this Agreement.
The invalidity or un-enforceability of any provision of this Agreement shall not affect the continuation or enforceability of the remainder of this Agreement. Either party’s waiver or failure to require performance by the other, of any provision of this Agreement will not affect its full right to require such performance at any subsequent time, or be taken or held to be a waiver of the provision itself.
This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law; the parties irrevocably agree that any dispute arising out of or in connection with this Agreement will be subject to and within the jurisdiction of the English courts.
13. Queries, comments and complaints
We aim to respond to any query or complaint received within five (5) working days. This may be an acknowledgement that we have received your query or complaint whilst further investigations are carried out.
You can view a log of changes to these terms and conditions here.
You can contact us:
• by email: email@example.com
• by telephone: +44 (0)207 183 7503 (lines are open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm UK time) (excluding UK public holidays).
• by post: Cochrane, St Albans House, 57-59 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4QX, UK.