This virtual workshop is the first advanced workshop that will be held nationally on June 2-3, 2021 through the collaboration of Cochrane Iran Associate Centre and Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Studies Center of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences (SYRMAN).
Due to the COVID-19 challenging time, this workshop will be held virtually in the form of a webinar. Online lectures, questions and answers, discussion, live chats and some exercises, will be available.
This workshop will also provide practical, hands-on advice and tips for advance searching in MEDLINE, including: Medical Subject heading (MeSH) searches; field codes; frequency search; nesting; and filters.
Dr. Payam Kabiri
This virtual workshop aims to train participants to advanced search for systematic review studies. It will include:
Formulating a PICO question
- P = Population/Patient/Problem - How would we define the problem or a group of patients?
- I = Intervention - What main intervention, exposure, or therapy we wish to consider?
- C = Comparison - Is there an alternative treatment to compare with the intervention?
- O = Outcome - What is the clinical outcome?
Sources to search
- Bibliographic databases
- MEDLINE and Embase
- The Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL)
- Other bibliographic databases
- Designing search strategies according to PICO
Designing search strategies and running search
- Understand the differences between controlled vocabulary and keywords
- Recognized search syntax rules (search fields, Boolean and proximity searching)
- Sensitivity versus precision
- Create a search in Medline with a combination of MeSH and Keywords
- Identifying gray literature and running search
- Language, date and document format restrictions
- Identifying fraudulent studies, other retracted publications, errata and comments
- Search filters, peer review of search strategies, alerts, timing of searches, stop searching time
- Documenting and reporting the search process
Medical and Health specialists
Basic knowledge of Health and Medical Sciences
Enrollment and further information is available here
Language: This workshop is taught in Persian.