About this module
Part of the Cochrane Interactive Learning course on Conducting an Intervention Review, this module explains why a review protocol is a crucial step in planning and delivering a systematic review. This module teaches you about the components of a protocol, and how to define eligibility criteria using the PICO format.
What you can expect to learn (learning outcomes)
This module will teach you to:
- Recognize the importance of Cochrane Protocols
- Identify the eligibility criteria for studies to be included in a Cochrane Review
- Identify the information that should be included in the background of a Cochrane Review
- Recognize the key components of a well-written objective
- Recognize the structure of a protocol
Authors, contributors, and how to cite this module
Module 2 has been written and compiled by Dario Sambunjak, Miranda Cumpston and Chris Watts, Cochrane Central Executive Team.
A full list of acknowledgements, including our expert advisors from across Cochrane, is available at the end of each module page.
This module should be cited as: Sambunjak D, Cumpston M, Watts C. Module 2: Writing the review protocol. In: Cochrane Interactive Learning: Conducting an intervention review. Cochrane, 2017. Available from https://training.cochrane.org/interactivelearning/module-2-writing-review-protocol.
Update and feedback
The module was last updated on September 2022.
We're pleased to hear your thoughts. If you have any questions, comments or feedback about the content of this module, please contact us.