Each Review Group uses their register differently in relation to the editorial process in the production of reviews.
Some of the ways that a Specialised Register can be used in the editorial process are:
- assigning reports and studies to existing reviews
- assigning reports and studies to potential reviews using the Group’s topic list
- linking reports to studies prospectively i.e. as reports are added to your SR
- putting studies and reports directly into reviews
- tracking searches
- tracking studies and reports sent to reviewers
- storing additional information with a study, e.g. data extraction sheets, correspondence with trial authors, etc
- addition of study fields for adding additional information extracted from the trial papers
These and other ways of using your Specialised Register will be explained in more detail when discussing the Cochrane Register of Studies.